Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Facebook is massively important and annoying.

I am a member of the social network generation. I had a live journal, myspace, and currently a facebook. I could remember spending my late teens and early twenties completely absorbed with the idea of my own personal website where my opinions, problems, announcements, and life events could not only be expressed but organized and shared with practically anybody. Then again I have never shy'd away from attention.

Facebook still astounds me, especially since the older I get I tend to meet new people, share new experiences, and practically document it all with various mediums. The entire reason I live in Eugene OR, is because of facebook. I met people, networked and learned information on the city. I was able to talk to students of LCC in advance about the school, cost of living, night life and so on. This medium of communication is so helpful I couldn't imagine life without it. Facebook is by far the best self promotion tool freely available, but with this amount of freedom comes the annoyances of everybody elses opinion. 

In recent years I have witnessed a hike in this "digital activism" which drives me practically insane. The same people I used to enjoy reading updates on now just spam pictures and propaganda on things from religion, politics, to even personal obsessions. It's a shame to release that amount of information widely, now everybody in the world knows how to exactly piss you off and that's some ammunition I would like to keep to myself (no pun intended).

Generally I'm a happy person who loves to live a free and outgoing life. It's very obvious on my profile my interests and activities show my nature and demeanor.  Very rarely will you see my insecurities or personal opinions on serious matters, however if you want to know what those are, then have some coffee with me. ;)

1 comment:

  1. "It's a shame to release that amount of information widely, now everybody in the world knows how to exactly piss you off..." I am laughing so hard right now because that is one of the BEST observations I have ever read. You stated the truth brilliantly. Great post.

    ReplyDelete